Clean, Green, POWER!

A review of the technologies from the frontiers of innovation that will change our world. For better or for worse depends on how we implement it.

Monday, March 27, 2006

I begin my journey into the world of blogging

I'm a late comer in the blogging scene. When my friends around me were blogging away, I didn't join in bandwagon. I figured, what do I have to write about. All the other kids were writing about themselves, their day, what they ate... that sort of stuff which I find doesn't really matter. Who the hell cares what you ate anyway? I don't. And I don't think starting a blog to that end serves much of a purpose other than a distraction of sorts.

I started a blog anyway. That was two years ago, at Xanga. But that was all there was to it. I started the blog, changed the color scheme and title and just abandoned it. For two solid years it was abandoned, until several weeks ago.

You see, I'm a forum fellow. I do most of my writing on discussion forums. I was aware of blogs that focused on other issues besides the blogger's mundane daily routine. Yet I've never really had much reason to post what I do in forums on a blog instead.

But as you are probably aware now, I eventually relented. I posted an article on algae as a source of biofuel in the citizens' blog of my local newspaper. It was motivated purely out of economical reasons -- they were offering RM50 (USD12.50) for 'blog of the day'. I know it doesn't seem much, but where I come from that amount of money can last three or four days. I didn't win however. I'd like to believe it was less because of the content and more because of people's indifference to alternative energy sources. Or maybe because it was pretty long.

At the same time, I posted the same article on my Xanga site. I wanted to make it into a blog concerning clean alternative fuel sources. But I never had enough motivation to write in blogs. At least with discussion forums there is a visibly active exchange of ideas. So it was that the Xanga blog became abandoned once more.

Meanwhile I managed to get a part time job writing web content. I had to write 300-400 word articles concerning various types of furnitures and other home decor products. Not exactly something that interest me, but I get payed for it. The person giving me these writing assignments requested that I pepper my articles with the relevant keywords for each article. Curiousity got the better of me and I eventually learnt about keywords and Google's AdSense program.

That's what brought me here to Blogspot. I wanted to pursue my idea of writing about the death of fossil fuels and the rise of cleaner alternatives, but I wanted some motivation for it. Money is a good motivator, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I am motivated by it. The Xanga site didn't allow Google Ads, or at least I'm not aware of how to include it. It may seem a bit selfish, but hey, human behavior is economic behavior.

And so I begin my journey into the blogosphere.

2 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Anonymous DeOngster said...

Hi Iskandar.. its been ages since i last heard from you... so what have u been up to other than college i hope you are all ready to graduate by now... anyways great hearing from you after a long while and i do hope you do call la once in awhile and not act like stranger k... peace brother

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Iskandar Reza said...

Hey, hey, how are you dude? Long time no hear. What have I been up to? It's a long story, perhaps I can tell you over a teh tarik session :)

How'd you find this blog anyway?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home